VCA CODE OF ETHICS
Code of Ethics and Undertaking
In consideration of the Victorian Canine Association Inc. electing me to its general membership and approval of that renewal from time to time, I pledge to the Victorian Canine Association Inc. that:
1. I shall ensure that at all times all dogs under my control are properly housed, fed, watered, exercised and receive proper veterinary attention, if and when required.
2. I shall not allow any dogs under my care to roam at large and when away from home ensure they are kept fully leashed, or under effective control, at all times.
3. I shall breed only for the purpose of improving the standard of the breed, and not for the pet market or any other commercial purpose.
4. That excepting in extenuating circumstances, I shall not breed from any bitch kept by causing it to be mated before it is twelve months of age. Thereafter I shall not breed from any bitch kept by me causing it to whelp more than twice in 18 months. I will not breed any bitch kept by me causing it to whelp more than six times without prior veterinary certification of fitness for further breeding.
5. I shall not permit any of my purebred dogs to be mated to a dog of a different breed, to a crossbred dog, or to an unregistered dog of the same breed.
6. I shall not sell or otherwise transfer from my care any puppy under eight weeks of age, thus allowing for vaccination to be given at six weeks of age, and the necessary ten to fourteen days for the vaccine to take effect. I shall not export a puppy under the age of 12 weeks.
7. I shall ensure that all persons acquiring dogs from me clearly understand their responsibility for the care and welfare of the animal, and that they have the time and facilities (i.e. adequate fences, sufficient room and proper shelter, etc.) to perform their obligations.
8. I shall provide to all purchasers of dogs placed by me, written details of all dietary and immunisation requirements and/or an appropriate publication relating to such requirements and responsible dog ownership.
9. I shall not sell any dog to commercial dog wholesalers, retail pet dealers, or directly or indirectly to allow a dog to be given as a prize or donation in a contest of any kind.
10. I shall not knowingly misrepresent the characteristics of the breed, nor falsely advertise, or mislead any person regarding the performance of any dog.
11. I shall ensure when selling or transferring a dog to another person that documents as required by VCA Inc Rules or Regulations, will be provided to the purchaser or transferee.
Any member failing to observe any provisions of the Code of Ethics may be dealt with under the Rules of the Victorian Canine Association Inc.